Your home, like life, is a series of evolutions and special moments. Tackle these mini projects yourself — and sometimes with help! — and you’ll create a space that’s truly your own. Flaunt your “after” pictures on Instagram by tagging #MyHouseBeautiful — we’ll publish our faves this spring!
1. Restyle your bookcase. Strip off those garish dust jackets, assemble an arsenal of pretty like-colored objets, and paint the back wall of the shelf a calm — or glamazonian — hue to make it all pop.
2. Wrap books in shimmery marbleized paper. Available at craft stores, it makes even the fluffiest beach read look smart. Luxe much?
3. Good lighting changes everything. This update doesn’t require an electrician: Mount a plug-in sconce to spotlight a painting or your nighttime reading. Illuminating!
4. Class up cabinets with knobs that wow you. You can swap out the pulls yourself in minutes.
5. Visual mishmash out, big beauty moment in! Take down all the pictures in a room and rehang them as one statement-making gallery wall.
6. Upgrade your shower nozzle. It’s not your water pressure, it’s your showerhead. Switch it out for Waterpik’s Torrent PowerSpray. It feels like a downpour. In the Maldives.
7. Paint the ceiling. A.k.a. the fifth wall. Blue is as calming as the sky, silver reflects light, jewel tones are bravely bold — and just might work.
8. Add a little bling. Have your framer gild a lamp, table, or chair in gold leaf (or silver, or copper, or metallic hot pink).
9. Restock your linen closet. If you wouldn’t show your current bath towels and bed linens to your visiting mother-in-law, ditch ’em and start anew. You deserve better.
10. Contain your kitchen. Under-counter swing-out corner storage helps organize a clutter zone — ideal for heavy, rarely used pots, or the collection of Tupperware we all inevitably amass.
11. Invest in a great mattress. Something that gets to sleep with you for years should be worthy! Stearns & Foster’s Estate line is cashmere-wrapped for winter warmth and summer cool.
12. Make an opening statement. Buy house numbers with (ahem) character.